Friday, July 24, 2009

2009 Triumph Bonneville: First Ride


On Friday afternoon I rode out of the parking lot at Kissell Motorsports with the first motorcycle in the New Wheels in the Sticks project -- a black 2009 Triumph Bonneville. This is a classic motorcycle, the one I picture in my head when I hear the word motorcycle. It's what kids draw when they're drawing a motorcycle. It's connected to memories of movies and Steve McQueen. Triumph has long occupied a special place in my imagination. The motorcycle is solid with a strong, deep exhaust sound without being obnoxious. Mentally I knew I wasn't on my Vespa but it took a few miles for my body to realize this new machine did not respond in the same fashion as the scooter.

The pavement was wet from a passing shower and the road surface was slick under my boots. I traveled a quiet route home to experiment with the brakes, weight and handling. Back and forth on an empty stretch of road to check the braking response on the wet road. Another few stops to fully reset my brain to use my right foot for the rear brake instead of my left hand which was now on clutch duty. I spent about 20 minutes evaluating my skills and comfort on the Triumph before heading towards home. It is important for me to take the time to embrace a new machine before any serious or extended riding. I've met riders who have chosen huge motorcycles as their first ride. Or have gone through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginner Riding Course on a 250cc motorcycle and turn around after the course and buy a Goldwing. I like to build up to things. Maybe I'm just nervous about the leap in size and weight from the Vespa. So I was careful and deliberate with the Triumph. Even though Craig Kissell said not to worry about the bike and that he would assume any liability for damage I didn't want to see him cry.

As I write this piece I keep thinking I should remain cool, aloof, objective in my reactions to the Bonneville on that first evening. I tell myself not to gush or say anything stupid. Nothing poetic. Just the facts. One of the first things I noticed was the spartan simplicity of the Triumph. I found myself looking for the clock, ambient temperature and fuel gauges present on my Vespa. I didn't realize how often I my eyes go to them until they weren't there. The Triumph has a speedometer, a blue light for high beams, a small amber light when the fuel is low, and maybe a red light for low oil. That's it. With fuel injection there is no choke or fuel valve. Press the starter button and it starts. Right now. Simple. And without saddle bags you don't have to worry about carrying anything that won't fit in your pockets. At first I was a little bothered by that but by the end of the weekend I really enjoyed not having to think about what I need to take along. My luggage consisted of wallet in my pants pocket, some change in another, a point and shoot camera in my riding jacket pocket and some index cards and a pen in the other. That's it. For recreational day rides where weather will not be an issue it was fine. If this bike were mine I would add saddle bags at least and perhaps a rear topcase. Otherwise how would I haul all the groceries around that I do with the Vespa? Groceries don't really fit though with my image of the Triumph. Yet.

I only rode about 15 miles that first evening but enough to know that I really liked this motorcycle and was looking forward to an early departure the next day. I liked the upright riding position. I like the smooth even power that the fuel injected engined delivered. And I liked the way it handled on the road. And as if the universe was testing the Triumph and my riding skills I had to make a sudden evasive maneuver to avoid plowing into four chickens crossing Main Street in Boalsburg. Anyone can dodge deer and elk. But chickens, that's real adventure.

I'll be posting more pictures and reflections of a longer ride on the Triumph in a few days. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Steve, I have the same bike. It has 200 miles on it now and i cant get enough of it! I also have a 2008 1050 Tiger. I find myself riding the Bonnie more than the Tiger now. Not just because it is new, but it is a time machine for me! One thing i noticed is the comfort if you can get past the "wooden seat". I am 6-4" so i shouldnt fit the bike. But even my long frame is comfortable! I am looking forward to reading more of your comments and sharing some of mine. As a side note I sold my "GoldWing" to get the Tiger because it was more comfortable! I have a list of changes I want to make to the Bonnie to make it more personal for me. You might want to check out the "Corbin " web site and look at the black Bonnie they built! I am getting the seat offered for mine. Enjoy the new toy! Mike Davis New Smyrna Beach Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I connected with your articles on the Bonnie on several levels. I've had mine for almost 2 years & love her more each time I ride. She's a bike you'll never grow tired of & everyone you meet will admire her, too. Upgrade from the stock tires,add an aftermarket exhaust & you're there.
    She's a dream to ride & cheap to own.
    Now my wife loves to ride 2 up.
    Good writing, keep it up....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike Davis: At 6'4" you are just a little less than 2 inches taller than me. I wondered myself how the Bonneville would "fit" but I found it easy to ride and sit on.

    I have yet to take a Tiger out on the road but it is definitely on my list. Seems like it would excel for long mileage tours through the kind of roads I like. Or a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

    I looked at the Corbin site. Some very nice stylistic choices of seats for the Triumph.

    Anonymous: Thanks for your kind words about the writing. Like you I think I found a near perfect riding machine in the Bonneville. I connect with it on a lot of levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the same bike a little over a month ago.After over 20 years without a bike and not finding any new bikes that inspired me the way the old ones used too, I came across 2009 Bonneville and new it was just what I was missing. I have a just over 300 miles on it and love ever minute I'm on it. I'm 6' and it fits me like a glove.
    I look forward to more pictures and posts.

    Thanks for blogging Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. After over 20 years without a bike and not finding any new bikes that inspired me the way the old ones used too, I came across 2009 Bonneville. I've had it for over a month and put 300 miles on it. My only regret is putting the kickstand down because it means the end of another great ride. I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying this bike.
    Thanks for the blog Steve

    ReplyDelete