Tuesday, August 18, 2009

2009 Vespa GTS300 Super: A Beginner's Ride?



Ideas and attitudes towards scooters are wide ranging. One common notion is scooters aren't suitable for serious riding. Beginner bikes. Glorified toys to play with in the neighborhood. Perhaps even ride to work if it's not too far. My guess is that most of these ideas come from a lack of direct experience riding scooters or a nervousness surrounding perceptions associated with scooters. Standing along a slightly misty Linden Hall Road surveying the Vespa most recently on loan from Kissell Motorsports I thought how perfect it is for the meandering secondary roads found throughout central Pennsylvania. Like all the Vespa scooters I've ridden it is solid, stylish and easy to ride. For a beginner it's a great way to hone the skills necessary to manage yourself on the road. And once you're on one you'll realize it's capable of a lot more than you think. Like riding with the big dogs.

That's what a Vespa GTS300 Super can do if given the chance. A couple months ago I was at Kissell Motorsports talking to a gentleman who was looking at a Can-Am Spyder, one of those big three wheeled motorcycles. He explained he was looking at the 100 plus horsepower machine for his wife. "She's never ridden before and I'm not sure she'll be able to manage on two-wheels." Thinking that the Spyder may be a bit imposing for a first time rider I inquired about a Vespa. With a concerned look and shake of his head he uttered, "I'm a BMW rider.". There were a lot of ways to read our brief interaction but I think what he was getting at was he needed his wife to have something to keep up with his motorcycle. After three days with the new Vespa GTS300 Super I can attest to it's ability to keep up with anything at any posted speed limit in Pennsylvania if need be. Or in the surrounding states for that matter. While not anyone's first choice for a long distance cruiser the Vespa is an excellent road companion for any rider interested in weekend rides through the countryside. Add to it's utterly useful functionality as a commuter vehicle and an around town errand transport the scooter is pretty amazing.

I've been riding a Vespa GTS250 for a couple years now and was anxious to see how the bigger machine compared. Looking at both the casual observer would have trouble telling them apart without the nameplates or knowledge of some of the color components specific to the 300. The engine sounds slightly deeper in tone but hardly noticeable considering how quiet all the Vespa scooters are. On the road it only took a few miles to know where the real difference lies -- the Vespa GTS300 Super has more pulling power through its entire speed range. Twist the throttle and it accelerates whether you are standing still or going 50mph. The extra 50cc's makes a difference. It was particularly noticeable on hills. The 250 is no slouch but the 300 gives a useful bit of extra power.

Thinking about the gentleman seeking something for his wife I could not help but think again that a scooter like this would be a great choice for a first ride. Less likelihood of a big motorcycle sitting unused in the garage because a new rider never really gets comfortable with something too big. Introducing a spouse to the riding life for the first time may yield more positive results with a Vespa.

Morning fog was in the forecast. I like to know what to expect when I depart on Saturday morning. An early departure allowed for some time to experiment with the new Vespa's handling. Familiar, frequently territory still beckons for one more photograph. The white Vespa makes a fine subject with classic lines.

I made plans to ride with my friend Paul -- he on his Harley and me on the Vespa.

Not far from the University Park Airport we pulled off the road to make a few pictures. I'm grateful that Paul will still ride with me considering how often I stop to take pictures. If he was not a serious photographer himself I suspect our riding friendship would have ended a long time ago. I've found a Vespa to be a near perfect photography platform. Easy to pull over almost anywhere and put it up on the centerstand or make sudden and narrow U-turns.

I write a lot about the joys of riding alone. But I do appreciate sharing unexpected turns on the road with someone at times. Looking through the viewfinder the empty road needed something. I asked Paul if he needed to stretch his back.

The Vespa GTS 300's power shows going up hills. Acceleration is improved over my GTS250 as well as power throughout the speed range. After taking my pictures the Vespa raced up the winding road over the mountain and into the Bald Eagle Valley.

Everyone knows that food is an important part of riding. A goal and an excuse. This morning was no different and Paul and I found ourselves breakfast at the Unionville Cafe.

Without any genes to energize culinary adventure tendencies I order my usual hearty breakfast. Having such simple tastes means I am seldom disappointed almost guaranteeing an enjoyable ride.

Near the top of the Allegheny Plateau in the Moshannon State Forest under bright sunlight I could look across the fog filled valley towards home. Reaching this point brough the Vespa GTS300 through miles of twisting roads. The steering is tighter and the scooter feels more sure footed than the 250 I normally ride. That combined with the extra power made for an easy ride in this terrain.

Along the lake at Black Moshannon State Park. Paul is trying to get me to ride off into the woods for a picture or park the scooter at the end of a small wooden dock. In both cases I see a phone call to Kissell Motorsports explaining why I was off-road with the Vespa or asking how to get water out of the crankcase. Besides, I didn't see Paul pushing his Harley out on the dock.

One last stop moving back across the plateau towards home. The Vespa performs well and I think about what it can't do. Not much really. It's more a matter of degree of specialty than not actually being able to do anything. I've ridden my smaller Vespa on the freeway for hundreds of miles. I've travelled in cities and throughout the countryside. In 100 degree heat and at -15 degree cold. On dry pavement, wet pavement, dirt, gravel, snow and ice. The Vespa is a great machine for a beginner and will allow for lots of growth. It's a gem around town but can run with the big dogs too if invited. And the expertise acquired on the scooter translates fine to a bigger, more powerful motorcycle if that's where your path goes.

I'm not sure if that fellow got his wife the Can-Am Spyder or not but I really think the Vespa would have been the better choice. Get your husband or wife a scooter. Ride with them. Show them the ropes. Who knows where it will take you.

2 comments:

  1. Future scooter wifeAugust 21, 2009 at 7:54 AM

    Thank you so much for providing me with the information to argue my husband into letting me start with a scooter rather than the big bike he would like me to start with. Men and their ideas!

    I haven't shown him this yet but he's not going to like it. I'll get the bigger one once I am comfortable. Maybe then he'll be ready for a scooter too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help. I may be overly careful but I think it doesn't hurt to move into riding slowly and at a pace you are comfortable with. Otherwise what should be fun may become frightening.

    Some beginning riders may do fine on a big bike but I'm still glad I returned to the road on a scooter!

    ReplyDelete